San Diego Airport Achieves Highest Score by Airport Carbon Accreditation Program
The airport achieved this certification by means of a collection of packages which have elevated using carbon-free electrical energy and all-electric automobiles, facilitated carbon-emission reductions by airline and rideshare companions, and enabled carbon-offset purchases by our passengers, amongst different efforts.
Airport Carbon Accreditation is the one institutionally endorsed, world carbon administration certification program for airports. It gives a standard framework for lively carbon administration with measurable goalposts after which independently assesses and acknowledges the efforts of airports to handle and cut back carbon emissions by means of six ranges of certification. Airport Carbon Accreditation can be the one world, airport-specific carbon customary that depends on internationally acknowledged methodologies.
SAN is certainly one of solely three North American airports to realize Stage 4+ ‘Transition’ certification and the one airport in California to achieve the milestone. To realize Stage 4+, SAN has demonstrated that it continues to cut back carbon emissions beneath its direct management (i.e. emissions from constructing power use and fleet automobiles), is on a trajectory to fulfill worldwide Web Zero emission targets by means of implementation of its carbon administration plan, has offset its remaining direct carbon emissions, and has successfully partnered with tenants chargeable for Scope 3 emissions on the airport.
“Since attaining Stage 3+ ‘Carbon Neutrality’ in 2018, our group has been working with our airline companions, floor transportation suppliers, and passengers to cut back their emissions which is a key element of attaining Stage 4+ accreditation,” mentioned Kimberly Becker, San Diego County Regional Airport Authority President and CEO. “It’s by means of collaboration that this purpose was met and I want to acknowledge the arduous work of the Airport Authority group and the aviation companions which can be committing to new methods of lowering emissions.”
Among the notable initiatives and initiatives SAN has efficiently carried out that contributed to attaining Stage 4+ embrace:
- The Airport Authority was one of many first organizations to enroll in San Diego Group Energy’s “Power100 Champions” program and now receives 100% renewable and carbon-free grid-delivered electrical energy to all the SAN airport campus.
- Transportation Community Corporations (Uber, Lyft, and so on.) conducting ridesharing providers at SAN should meet a median fleetwide Greenhouse Gasoline Score equal to the gas effectivity of not less than 52 miles per gallon by 2025.
- In 2015, the Airport Authority developed and launched The Good Traveler, a carbon offsetting program designed to encourage sustainable journey by enabling people to offset the environmental influence of their journey in an inexpensive, simple, and significant approach.
- By means of its stormwater seize and reuse system at Terminal 2 Parking Plaza, SAN has captured, handled, and reused greater than 4 million gallons for the reason that system was commissioned in 2018. In 2020, the Northside Stormwater Seize Cistern was accomplished and is designed to reuse roughly 16 million gallons yearly with plans to make use of the captured water to clean automobiles on the Rental Automobile Heart.
- The Airport Authority has developed one of many largest zero-emission shuttle fleets within the area, with a complete of 33 all-electric buses. These cleaner and quieter buses transport passengers between terminals, workers to distant parking tons, and transit riders between the Outdated City Transit Heart and the airport.
- SAN has partnered with airports, airways, sustainable aviation gas (SAF) producers, and different stakeholders to advocate for insurance policies that may improve using low-carbon SAF to cut back greenhouse fuel emissions within the aviation sector.
- The Airport Authority is working with our aviation companions to transform floor assist gear (GSE) to make use of lower-carbon various fuels. Airways are anticipated to transition roughly 80 p.c of their GSE to electrical and renewable diesel by 2024.
To find out about different environmental targets and initiatives being accomplished on the airport in addition to how the Airport Authority is main efforts in environmental, social, and financial stewardship, please go to maintain.san.org which is the Airport Authority’s Sustainability Report.